Social and Emotional Learning
In our classroom, we follow the guiding principals of Responsive Classroom.
These core principals are as follows:
- Teaching social and emotional skills is as important as teaching academic content.
- How we teach is as important as what we teach.
- Great cognitive growth occurs through social interaction.
- How we work together as adults to create a safe, joyful, and inclusive school environment is as important as our individual contribution or competence.
- What we know and believe about our students—individually, culturally, developmentally—informs our expectations, reactions, and attitudes about those students.
- Partnering with families—knowing them and valuing their contributions—is as important as knowing the children we teach.
- Establishing Rules
- Morning Meeting
- Interactive Modeling
- Teacher Language
- Logical Consequences
We also use the program: Emotional ABC's to explicitly teach emotions, feelings, body language, and coping skills. You can learn more about this program by viewing this short video.